There are two stock exchange in India
- NSE - National Stock Exchange
- BSE -Bombay Stock Exchange
|Image Source - NTA.net|
First of all, you need to know that there is no trading on Saturday,Sunday and published Indian Stock Market Holidays declared by the Indian Stock Exchange in advance.
LEARN MORE ABOUT NSE INDIA
The stock market timings can be divided in to three sessions.
- PRE-OPENING SESSION
- NORMAL MARKET SESSION
- POST-CLOSING SESSION
The duration of pre-opening session is between 9:00 AM to 9:15 AM.
The concept of pre-opening session was introduced to reduce volatility.
The pre-opening session further divided into three sub sessions.
9:00 AM to 9:08 AM
- This is the order entry session.
- The orders can be placed and modified in this session.
9:08 AM to 9:12 AM
- No new order shall be taken in this session.
- This session is used for order matching and for calculating the open price of the normal session.
- Orders can not be placed and modified during this session.
9:12 AM to 9:15 AM
- This session is used as buffer period, to ensure smooth transition from PRE-MARKET SESSION to NORMAL TRADING SESSION.
NORMAL MARKET SESSION
- The duration of normal market session is 9:15AM to3:30 PM.
- This is actual time where most of trading take place.
- The traders and investors can buy and sell the shares.
- Normal trading session follows bilateral matching session i.e. Whenever is buying price is equal to selling price, then transaction is complete.
- This session does not have any lunch or tea break, To put it another way, the share trading remains open even during the lunch and tea.
Don't Miss it - Best Stock Market Research Websites in India